I hear so many lines on Andy Griffith that crack me up because they're so country! It makes me realize that I say things all the time that no one else seems to! Then I got to thinkin', how'd I get so country? I think it's that my Mother is the queen of funny country sayings. Check out some things she has said (and still says) all my life...(you have to say these in your head with a Southern accent btw!)...
- ...good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.
- Well excuse me for livin'! Stop the world and I'll get off!!!
- ...poor as Job's turkey. (I heard that one on Andy the other day!)
- Well I'll be John Brown (in disbelief of something) *or* well I'll be John Brown's Granny!
- You can't get blood out of a turnip!
- You'd make a Preacher cuss!!!! (she used to say that to me when I was little!)
- They have more (fill in the blank) than Carter's got pills.
- Gross me out the door (20 years after everyone else stopped saying it.)
- She sings “Do you need a little help, no help wanted. Could you use a little help, no help needed.” (I always thought that was a song she made up, then one day I heard it on old country radio and my mouth dropped open - she used to sing that to us while she was working and we didn't offer to help.)
- Holy Cow!
Now I don't say all these but I say things like "Heavens to Betsy!" or "Oh Heavenly Love" when I get frustrated. I say, "Dear Gussy!" all the time too.
So does your family say anything hilarious that you never hear anywhere else?